“In football everything is complicated by the presence of the opposite team.”

The sky is cloudy again, and it’s chilly, low 40’s chilly. My heat is on almost constantly. Nothing is moving. I can see the backyard through my den window and not a branch, even the smallest, is moving. I’m glad for the stillness. It helps to keep the cold at bay. There is a chance of rain later.

Gracie and I have to go to Agway. I am out of canned dog food, and that’s a calamity. I also need to buy biscuits, dog and cat treats, cat food and bird seed. Shopping at Agway is, for me, never an inexpensive stop. My animals expect and do get the best. Gracie is pickier than the cat and drives me crazy when she turns her face away from the treat I’m offering and holds out for something better which she usually gets. It is too late now to alter the behavior I have fostered in Gracie, the spoiled dog.

This morning I enjoyed biscotti with my coffee. It was, of course, chocolate biscotti. My  mother wasn’t a coffee drinker except with biscotti which she loved. When she came to visit, I’d give her a half cup of coffee purely for dunking purposes. One Christmas she even made her own biscotti, and it was delicious. She kept a few but sent most of it home with me as the rest of the family didn’t eat biscotti. What fools they were!!

The cloudy days make me feel languid. I need a bit of sunlight, a natural pick-me-up. It is so easy to love a sunny day and feel like conquering the world; instead, I just sit here hoping for a sudden jolt of energy.

Having lived here for so long, I am familiar with all the quirks of my house. I can identify the sounds. That’s the ice maker adding water or dropping cubes in the tray.  I can hear the clicks of the furnace before the heat blasts. The thump is Maddie jumping off the couch or from one step to another. I used to hear the scurry off the mice in the eaves, but the exterminator took care of that. Just a few minutes ago, I heard an unfamiliar sound. I stopped typing to listen. The sound had a rhythm, a rat-tat. I knew it had to be a woodpecker. I banged the wall, but the sound stopped for only a minute. I had to go out to the deck to scare the bird away. The sound has stopped.

Tonight is game night and football night as the Pats are playing the Broncos. We’ll all be watching. My sister in Colorado is working on her football game menu. The Pats never do well in Denver, but this year Denver is not doing well. They are last in their conference with a 3 and 5 record. The Pats are first in theirs with a 6 and 2 record. The Pats are favored. I hope that comes to fruition.

My dance card is not empty for a change thanks to game night.

Explore posts in the same categories: Musings

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

8 Comments on ““In football everything is complicated by the presence of the opposite team.””

  1. Bob Says:

    The Cowboys will be playing in Atlanta in their new multi billion dollar football palace bearing the Mercedes Benz moniker. Zeke Elliot will be sitting out the first game of his six game suspension for abuse of his girl friend which I think is as trumped up a charge as deflate gate was for Tom Brady. 🙂 Football has been the real American sport for many years despite baseball being American’s favorite pastime. Owners like Jerry Jones have turned a money losing sport into a tremendous cash machine. Violence trumps strategy and fineness in the tradition of Roman Bread and Circuses. 🙂

    If yesterday was a lazy day today is a repeat including the weather. There is a 30% chance of rain but we are in the 70% dry area.

    • Bob Says:

      The Cowboys stank up the place today. Good luck to your Pats.

    • katry Says:

      Bob,
      The Pats are walking all over Denver. It is the 4th quarter and the Pats are leading 41-16.

      They never used to connect off field behavior to game suspensions. I guess all the publicity of the abusive behavior forced their hands.

      I wonder how much of an affect all the brain injuries revelations will change the popularity.I know parents of young kids who don’t want them playing football. We’ll have to see down the road. Robert Kraft has done quite well!

      It is 45˚ right now which is warm for this late.

      • Bob Says:

        Unfortunately, Zack Elliott’s accuser didn’t result in his arrest and she claimed to have had an abortion. She was upset that he broke up with her after signing with the Cowboys. Who knows in these he said she said cases.

        As you may have heard OJ Simpson was ejected from a Vegas strip hotel. I wonder if all his troubles are a result of brain damage from playing pro football. My son had no interest in playing football but I would have discouraged him if he expressed an interest in playing the game.

        Every owner has benefited from the business changes instituted by Jerry Jones. That’s why he was inducted in the Hall of Fame.

      • katry Says:

        Bob,
        There is no clear cut right or wrong in the he said-she said instances though often the past gives some hint as to what happened as the girlfriend mai ugh have said something to somebody which proves her allegations.

        I did read that about OJ. What an idiot. He could get himself in violation of his parole.

        My sister’s grandson at age 11 played football, and she is always worried. It is the nature of that game.

  2. olof1 Says:

    Sunny and cold here today but tomorrow will be slightly armer and it will rain on teh cold roads so it’ll be super fun to drive home after work tomorrow 🙂 🙂

    I’ve only eaten a few biscotties in my life and they have actually arrived here from the US 🙂 As You know I get a christmas pacjå´kage from my friend Joyce and she usuaklly puts in a few biscotties in it 🙂

    I do hope the NFL starts taking these brain injuries the football players get seriously! They actually have much the same problems in soccer too because of footballs hitting their heads. The problems aren’t spoken much about here either but since it destroyes lives they must start doing something about it!

    Have a great day!

    Christer.

    • katry Says:

      Christer,
      It is still dark and damp now, evens feels a bit raw. I can’t believe it is even close to the 50’s they predicted. I was cold when I last took Gracie outside.

      I had a couple of biscotti this morning with my coffee. They were a great way to start the day.

      My sister and I were talking the other day about this very subject, head trauma. Her grandson, age 11, plays football, and she wished he didn’t, but she has no say and just keeps quiet. Last year Aaron Hernandez, a standout player for the Pats, was arrested, charged and tried for murder. He was found guilty. There was a second trail for murder but for this one he was found not guilty. Not long after, he hanged himself in his cell. His brain was donated for study and the post mortem showed the star was suffering from CTE. Hernandez had Stage 3 chronic traumatic encephalopathy which medics had never before seen in a brain younger than 46 years old. His decision-making, judgement and cognitive functions were significantly affected by the disease which may explain the murder.

      Have a wonderful evening!.


Comments are closed.


%d bloggers like this: