“No, no! The adventures first, explanations take such a dreadful time.”

The morning is humid, damp and dark. It rained earlier but not so much. A slight breeze stirs only the leaves at the ends of the branches. I’m tempted to put the screen in the front door but not yet the back door. That has to stay open for the dogs, and it still gets cold at night. Yesterday I went out for a time. Nala enjoyed herself. She surfed the baskets under the table and pulled out the strangest things like coasters, bottles and a couple of books. They were strewn all over. Not satisfied with one floor, Nala went upstairs to my bedroom. Luckily, the only things she found were grocery bags. They were in pieces all over the floor.

Last night wasn’t great for sleeping. The room was hot so I turned on the window air in my bedroom. Nala spread out and took my blankets with her. I got cold. Henry joined us, and I had no room. Usually they stay on their side, and I stay on mine, but not last night. Both sides were their sides. I had to fight for every inch.

When I was a kid, Duke, our boxer, wasn’t allowed on furniture. At night he sneaked on the couch to sleep but was never there when we came down the stairs in the morning. He was too smart to get caught. When Duke was young, he jumped out the window in Reading Square. My father stopped the car in the middle of the road and gave chase. Duke was caught. The other Duke story I remember was when we were visiting my aunt the nun. Duke was left in the car. He got bored. When we got back, strings of ceiling material hung down in front of the windows. Duke had chewed all along the from window to window. My father went crazy. I don’t remember what happened next. I think I erased it from my memory.

I don’t think my mother ever worried when we were gone all day. We’d pack our own lunches and take off for the whole day. Sometimes we walked. Other times we rode our bikes. We rode to East Boston once. That was the furthest we ever went. My mother was not happy, an understatement. I think the ride along the Revere highway scared her the most. We weren’t scared at all. There were sidewalks and lots of lights. We rode passed the dinosaur statue at the miniature golf course, the dog track, the tankers lined up at the oil terminal and the giant holy lady statue on the hill. We had taken that route more times than I can remember on the way to our grandparents’ house. It was as familiar as the streets in our town. My brother and I thought it was an adventure.

Explore posts in the same categories: Musings

4 Comments on ““No, no! The adventures first, explanations take such a dreadful time.””

  1. Bob Says:

    Hi Kat,

    The sky is clear again today but our high temperature is a cool down to only 95°. That’s 35° Celsius if it makes you feel cooler. 🙂

    When we first got out second dog, Lady, a black Lab mix, we were entitled to a free spaying at the animal shelter in McKinney. I drove the dog the 15 or so miles to the place and when I opened the right side door, she darted out into the rural area where the shelter was located. I searched the high grass around the parking area and thought I had lost the dog. My kids were youngsters and would have been heartbroken had I just left the dog and gone home. After much searching and calling her name, I nabbed her and I put her on the leash. After her surgery I brought her back home and never mentioned a word to my wife or the kids about the lost dog adventure.

    • katry Says:

      Hi Bob,
      It rained on and off until the afternoon. The rain was heavy for a bit. Right now it is 72˚. Tonight it will only be 64˚.

      I’m with you. No harm, no foul as you found the dog. I’m surprised she came when you called being so new and all. When I am in New Hampshire to visit my friends, I stay in an apartment over the garage. Henry woke me up so I put his leash on and took him out. I didn’t put shoes on as there was grass right outside the door. Henry slipped his collar. I called and did see him a couple of times. He went into the woods. I killed my feet following him. Finally I decided to wake my friends and ask for help. I went back into the garage when all of a sudden Henry appeared behind me. I was so relieved.

  2. Christer. Says:

    Nice here today, tomorrow the heat wave will arrive and I’m not looking forward to it at all.

    Hector did the same thing as Duke, jumped out the car window, thankfully it happened when I drowe slowly 🙂 🙂 🙂 He too waited in the car one day, I couldn’t have been away for more then ten minutes. When I came back he had chewed of all but one of the safety belts and also unscrewed the lid to a bottle with oil and poured it out in the entire car, there weren’t even a toth mark on that lid 🙂 🙂 🙂

    Have a great day!


    • katry Says:

      Hi Christer,
      It was a perfect day today, sunny and cool with no humidity. The high was 72˚.

      Hector could have been related to Duke. I don’;t know if my father would have gotten angrier at the oil or the shredding of the inside of the car.

      Nala is a chewer and a digger!

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: