“The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea.”

The morning is bright, filled with sun. The air is still, and today is Sunday quiet. I can already feel the heat. It will be in the low 80’s today. I’m thinking it might be a day for the air conditioner, but I’ll wait a bit as this room is still dark and cool. Nala has taken to the window behind me. Last night she was lying on the couch top looking out hoping too see anything. There was nothing to see. The rental is empty.

When I was a kid, Sunday was often beach day. My mother packed the lunch, the blanket and the towels. My father packed the car. We’d drive to Gloucester, to Wingaersheek Beach, the only beach I remember. If I close my eyes, I can still see it all. There were rocks to climb. Giant houses faced the beach. I always thought it would be neat to wake up beside the water. Most of the time we didn’t swim until low tide when the pools were warm. I used to walk the beach for shells to save. We had to wash off the sand before we could take them into the car. It was the same with our feet. We usually stayed the whole day. I don’t remember most rides home. I usually fell asleep.

We used to go to the pool. It was on the opposite side of town, a long walk from my house. The pool cost a dime. The changing room had benches, a couple of showers and those metal baskets for our clothes. The basket key was on a twisted plastic sort of bracelet to put around our wrists. I used to dive from the board, nothing fancy just a regular dive. I’d lean over on the board with my arms straight in front and dive in. One time I went deep and hit the bottom of the pool. My teeth jammed into my lips which bled. There were even teeth marks. I went to the lifeguard who right away tried to stop the bleeding. My lip had already started to swell. The lifeguard called my mother and then drove me home. I don’t remember diving again for a long time.

My sisters ran into the sprinkler, one of those old metal ones which spun. I think my father had the same sprinkler for years. Usually it was set on the side of the house as running room was essential. The front had a small grassy hill, slippery when wet. My sister broke her leg riding her tricycle down that hill.

I have no plans to go out today. I think I’ll vacuum. I always need to vacuum.

Explore posts in the same categories: Musings

8 Comments on ““The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea.””

  1. Caryn Says:

    Hi Kat,
    My mother liked Wingaersheek Beach but she didn’t like the drive so we didn’t go there very often. I remember the tide pools. Those were cool. I remember, too, that it was a very long walk to get to the actual water line. Most of the time my mother took us to Nahant beach. I suppose she felt that driving through Lynn traffic was much safer than driving up 128. She wasn’t an intrepid driver.
    It’s really hot up here. 91ºF at the moment. The AC is on and it’s comfortable in here as long as I’m not moving around doing stuff. I managed to toss the laundry down the cellar stairs and put the dishes in to soak. Good enough.
    Enjoy the evening.

    • katry Says:

      Hi Caryn,
      I don’t remember it, but when I was really young, we went to Revere Beach and met up with uncles, aunts and cousins. I lived in South Boston until I was almost 5. My mother used to take us to Carson Beach. I don’t remember that either. I just remember going to Wingaersheek

      My AC was also on all day I just turned it off as the air has cooled I’ll probably need the upstairs unit on as it will not cool down enough by bedtime. I did the laundry. I should write that in all caps!! The basket has been sitting in the hall for a couple of weeks.

      Enjoy the evening. You’ll need the AC again tomorrow.

      • Caryn Says:

        The AC was cycling on and off all day. It would run for 10 or 15 minutes and shut off for 30 to 60 minutes. 75ºF must be a borderline setting. I was surprised to note that the doggy daycare runs its AC much cooler than at my house.
        The laundry has made it into the washing machine with water and soap and all. Might even make it into the dryer today. 😀

      • katry Says:

        I just left it on all day yesterday. I can feel it heating up now so I hope it doesn’t get much hotter. My temp is set at 70˚

        I am now cleaning the living room It needs it

  2. Bob Says:

    Hi Kat,

    Today is partly cloudy with a temperature of 85°. The storms came again last night accompanied by heavy rain I expect more rain again tonight. So far today has remained dry.

    When I was in high school,in NYC my friends and I would take the bus to Rockaway Beach. The boardwalk contained various eateries and arcade games like Fascination, which is similar to ski ball. I remember eating hot dogs, ice cream bars and cherry kinishes all sold from vendors who walked up and down the beach. The worst part was the ride home on the bus because of the irritation from the sand and salt that stuck in my swim suit.

    Before, my mother passed away in 1961, we would drive from Dallas to NYC annually to visit relatives and then to drive to Miami Beach for a family vacation. After a week of swimming in the beachfront hotel pool and going in the ocean, we would drive back home. Those were long drives but my parents would stop at motels in the late afternoons for us to go swimming and have dinner before going to bed. Our cars had air conditioning which made the drives more pleasant in the 1950s. Back then most cars weren’t air conditioned. The interstate highway system construction wasn’t even begun back then and driving times were longer on the mostly two lane highways.

    • katry Says:

      Hi Bob,
      That is about how hot it got here today. I had the AC on most of the day. It is just getting cooler right now. Boston had day 2 of its heat wave. At least it was a pretty day.

      I don’t remember going to the beach more than a couple of times when I was in high school. Most weekends I was busy. I did go with friends to Revere Beach a couple of times. It also had rides, arcades and beach food like hot dogs. I loved that roller coaster too.

      The furthest we went was to Niagara Falls. That was part of a vacation on the road. It was the first time I ever stayed in a hotel. Some years we went on vacation usually up north but other times we did a stay vacation. I loved those as we went to so many local places including museums. I still love museums because of that. My most vivid memories were at the Museum of Fine Art where I was blown away by the size of the sarcophagi. I also remember the apes’ heads in jars and the Polynesian outrigger hanging from the ceiling at the Harvard Museum.

      • Bob Says:

        I also love going to museums. When I was teenager in New York my orthodontist’s office was located at Central Park West and 81st. Street directly across the street from the Hayden Planetarium and the Museum of Natural History. My appointments were always on Saturday mornings. Directly across Central Park was the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I would spend many Saturday afternoons exploring both museums.

      • katry Says:

        I always thank my parents for my love of museums, actually probably my father. The ape heads in jars was what I have never forgotten. When I was old enough, I used to take the bus to Harvard Square to go to the museum. It became a favorite of mine.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: