“A great wind is blowing, and that gives you either imagination or a headache.”

Last night was amazing and scary. When the wind blew, I could hear furniture on the deck being tossed about. I could hear the rustling of the leaves on the trees and the creak of branches as the wind swept through them. The gusts got as high as 55 MPH.Β The rain came heavily at times and smashed against the windows. The deck and the front lawn are covered in pine needles blown from the scrub pines. Small branches and one bigger branch litter the backyard. Today is still windy with gusts strong enough to sway the tallest and strongest branches on the trees in the yard. More rain is predicted.

Gracie was heavily panting last night usually a sign she needs out or is hungry. I fed her a small can, and she ate all of it. I changed the water three or four times, and she drank each time slobbering drops of water on the tile floor. I opened the front door so she could see the rain. She backed away. Gracie wanted on the couch and off the couch. I helped her up and down as she has bad back legs. I was getting testy. By this time it was 3:30, and I had been trying to go to sleep since 1:30, but I was attuned to Gracie and her panting and couldn’t fall asleep. Finally I figured she might be frightened by the wind. I moved beside her and started patting her head and ears and talking gently to her. Gradually her breathing slowed down. She settled and went to sleep knowing I was beside her. That meant I was squashed on half a couch with my legs bent at the knees and was beside a dog with wind problems of her own, unpleasant wind problems, but I was so tired I fell asleep anyway around four.

Gracie woke me up at 7. She was moving around, and I heard her. I keep an eye and an ear on Gracie’s movements on the couch we share as it is too soft for her back legs to establish a hold. I pleaded with her to go back to sleep, and she did. I moved and got comfortable as Gracie didn’t need my reassurances any more. Outside was quiet in comparison to last night. We both woke up at 10. I turned on the coffee, got dressed quickly and drove to Agway. I was out of dog food, an emergency in this house. When we got home, I fed Gracie before getting my coffee and toast. She is now happy and sleeping soundly. I’m exhausted.

Today I have a dentist appointment but only a cleaning.

Explore posts in the same categories: Musings

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

4 Comments on ““A great wind is blowing, and that gives you either imagination or a headache.””

  1. olof1 Says:

    Albin had the same wind problems as Gracie last night and he sleeps veryu close to me so I had no chance to escape the smell πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ Nova slept beside my head and Sune down by my feet so I had no chance to move at all but I havevto say that it was warm and cozy all night πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

    No wind tonight but rather cold and we’ll get frost during the night, I think it’s already below 32F now. It will change already towards Wednesday morning though when warmer winds will reach us with lots of rain. They tend to be right when it comes to bad weather on our weather sites πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

    Have a great day!


    • katry Says:

      I didn’t escape the smell either as I didn’t want to leave Gracie. She had finally stopped panting and fallen asleep beside me. I wasn’t at all comfortable but I was glad Gracie was.

      It was in the high 50’s all day today and will be 50˚ tonight. There was a second police alert. The first was about the storm yesterday and last night. Today it was about the winds and that many people did not have electricity and wouldn’t until at least tomorrow. The police said they had a warming room at the station.

      We have had a warmer fall than usual.

  2. flyboybob Says:

    Last night I slept like death. I stayed up to watch the baseball game until almost one in the morning and slept late today since I took the day off as a vacation day. Last night the Dodgers and the Astros just traded home runs. It was an exciting baseball game. Two batters were intentionally walked without the pitchers having to throw the four balls. This new innovation must have saved a lot of time since the game went 5 hours and 17 minutes.

    Today is beautiful, the sky is clear and the high is 75 degrees. Tomorrow night it’s supposed to rain as a cold front approaches.

    • katry Says:

      I watched the game on and off and saw the home runs. I agree that not throwing the balls and declaring a base on balls has helped speed up the game except for the Red Sox. They seem too have marathon games.

      It didn’t rain today though it stayed grey and windy.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: