“I told my dentist my teeth are going yellow. He told me to wear a brown tie.”

My skepticism is draining away. Perhaps spring really is here as today is another sunny, warm day, a lovely day. It is already 57˚, today’s high. Gracie and I slept on the couch last night. She had such a difficult time with the stairs yesterday morning I didn’t want to put her through that again. The rest of the stair treads should be here tomorrow so we can move back upstairs. She went outside with me helping her down the stairs. I waited, but she disappeared from view. All of a sudden she reappeared from the other side of the deck. She came up the easy stairs. That’s one smart dog.

Tonight is game night. We’re having pizza and playing Phase 10 and Sorry. We’ll watch The Amazing Race recorded the other night. That’s been a long time tradition.

When I was going through catalogs the other day, I saw jelly nougats for sale and a memory jumped into my head. When I was nearly 8, I started wearing braces. Back then, braces were not all that common. I remember closing my mouth for my school picture so you couldn’t see the braces. I was a bit self-conscious. There were only a few orthodontists. The office I went to was in Boston on Commonwealth Ave. My mother had to get a babysitter for my two sisters then she and I would walk uptown to get the bus to Sullivan Square then the subway close to the office. The office was on the first floor of a beautiful old house. It was a living room with comfy sofas. The nurse’s desk was there, and the doctor’s office was behind a door in the front of the room. His name was Dr. Nice.

After my appointment, we’d backtrack to Sullivan Square. We had to walk upstairs to the bus station. Right in the middle of that station was a news kiosk. It sold papers, magazines, and candy. My mother often let me choose a bar of candy. I remember picking the jelly nougat. I liked the colors of the jellies, and the way they looked in the nougat. With tightened braces, the nougat was a bit tricky to eat, but I managed. We’d get to Stoneham, and sometimes we’d stop to buy my lunch to take to school. I remember the bread was toasted. My mother would then walk me to school a few blocks away from the squar

I always liked the before and after of those appointments. I got to be alone with my mother, ride the subway, be late to school and eat a lunch bought from a restaurant. The day would have been perfect if we took away the orthodontist.

Explore posts in the same categories: Musings

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

6 Comments on ““I told my dentist my teeth are going yellow. He told me to wear a brown tie.””

  1. olof1 Says:

    We had a bitterly cold wind blowing today so we reached 55,4 as highest, yesterday and the day before that we reached above 60. Still it was nice enough to be outside big parts of the day.

    Braces weren’t especially common when I was a kid either but some had like one of my cousins. I really should have b´needed one for the teeth in the lower jaw to be honest.

    I’ve never heard of jelly nougats before or seen them but they do look like something I would like 🙂

    Have a great day!


    • katry Says:

      We may hit 60˚ tomorrow. That would be lovely. I have a lot to do outside.

      The adolescent world now has braces.

      The nougats are delicious. Every now and then I buy one for old time’s sake.

      Have a great day!

  2. Bob Says:

    I also had braces when in the eighth grade. My orthodontist’s office was in Manhattan on West 86th street and Cental Park West. Dr. Greenstein’s office was in the ground floor of an apartment building. In NYC apartment houses leased out ground floor apartments as professional offices. Dr. Greenstein had to be in his early 80s at that time and his dental furniture was ancient. He told me that he had to study orthodontics abroad when he was a young man.

    The best part of the orthodontist visit was that I got to travel by subway into the city for the Saturday morning appointment. Across the street from his office was the Hayden Planetarium and the American Museum of natural history. After each visit I would wonder the museum, enjoy the stars at the planetarium or walk across Central Park to the 5th avenue side and visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Manhattan was my cultural oyster and I enjoyed every visit.

    After the museums I would eat a hot dog in the Park, or go the Horn and Hardot automat. This would be followed by a slice of cheese pizza along the way back to the subway station. I always stopped by a paperback book store to have something to read on the train ride home. The book and a soft pretzel held my attention until I reached out stop in Jamaica Queens where I would buy the second slice of pizza to eat on the way home. Usually my cousin would accompany me for her appointment.

    Another sunny day with a predicted high in the low 80s. A cold front is approaching which should bring thunderstorms tomorrow morning through Tuesday.

    • katry Says:

      I wish I were older when I started at the orthodontist, but I was only 7 or 8 so I had to go with my mother. It would have been great fun to explore Boston.

      The office I went to was in the middle of Commonwealth Ave which has only big, old, lovely houses even in those days. It was residential for the most part.

      You had a great experience every time you went to the orthodontist. I thought my experience was wonderful, and it was. I didn’t often go to Boston or have lunch from a restaurant.

      It was lovely all day and did hit the high 50’s. I’ll take that.

  3. Birgit Says:

    Yup, braces. Or: How to torture kids…
    Have fun tonight! And win 🙂

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: