“Don’t go into Mr. McGregor’s garden: your Father had an accident there; he was put in a pie by Mrs. McGregor.”

I feel a bit like the Black Knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail only it’s the mechanical I’m losing, not my arms or legs. First it was the computer going haywire. Okay, I thought, I can work around that until I get it to the computer emergency room. Then the speaker wire died, frayed at the connection to the computer end, and now all is silent. Well, I figured I’ll just choose music I know well was my Pollyanna, the glad game response. Last night I went to go to the store and found I had a flat tire. AAA came and now my car has the donut until I can go to the station to have the tire checked. I walk on tenterhooks around my house leery and afraid of what could be next. My microwave makes unearthly sounds when I turn it on so that may well be on its last legs. It wouldn’t surprise me. Nothing much does any more.

Today is warm and beautiful. It is 63Β° with only the slightest breeze. The oak leaves are much larger now and are light green with a touch of red. I saw a couple of nests in the backyard so the birds have been busy spooning and building. Yesterday I saw a baby rabbit munching on my neighbor’s tulips. I’m betting its mother or father was the rabbit who stood outside theΒ  backyard fence for the longest time just staring at Gracie who was so crazy to get that rabbit she kept trying to jump the fence. Maybe Gracie needs an Elmer Fudd hat and a rifle.

Polliwogs, frogs, grasshoppers and birds were the only wildlife I saw around my neighborhood while I was growing up. A rabbit would have been cause for excitement and a crowd of kids trying their best to be still and quiet to keep the rabbit around for a while. Yesterday I ran at the rabbit to scare it away. Now the rabbit is a nuisance who drives my dog crazy and eats my flowers. Adulthood brings such a different perspective.

Explore posts in the same categories: Musings

Tags: , , , ,

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

16 Comments on ““Don’t go into Mr. McGregor’s garden: your Father had an accident there; he was put in a pie by Mrs. McGregor.””

  1. olof1 Says:

    I’m having huge problems with internet today. I can only stay for a few minutes at a time and even if I have a good connection I still can’t get to the sites I want to! Very annoying. But for once I don’t think it is my computer that does this.

    Sunny and almost warm here and where ever we looked on our walk this afternoon we saw deers and hares, lots of hares. I guess it’s the ones that were born early this spring that runs around here now. Nova doesn’t say anything but she can’t stop staring at them. Hares comes from hell and must be killed πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

    Have a great day!

    • katry Says:

      That would drive me crazy, but then again everything else already has me darn close to crazy!

      It was a really nice day today and mostly warm. It’s 5 now and has started to be sweat-shirt cold.

      Rabbits are cute-I’ll give them that and the New England cottontail rabbit is at risk and being considered for protection under the Endangered Species Act so I’ll just chase them, no rough stuff!.

  2. Hedley Says:

    I had lunch with my daughter at the Stage Deli. She is 23 about 5’10” and blonde. I am told that she is striking. I generally explain to anyone that will listen that she is my daughter, I am sure that people see other things.
    We work close to each other and we do this every couple of weeks. It is nice.

    • katry Says:

      My Dear Hedley,
      When I was a senior in college, my dad was transferred to Boston and stayed not too far from me all week then went home to the Cape on weekends. Once a week we went out to dinner together. I always had the best time!

      Don’t bother explaining: people will think what they want!

      • Bob Says:

        Did you eat at the Stage Deli in New York?

      • Hedley Says:

        So I was picking up a Mothers Day card form Maggie and noticed an interesting license plate on a somewhat old car…MLK JFK…I guess really a spirit of the 60s

  3. Zoey & Me Says:

    We had brown skinny rabbits up in VA and I swear I saw one jump a six foot fence. They were not the cuddle type you see on Disney or in stores for Easter. I have forgotten what they are called but their back legs are fierce. 95 degrees here, rain, muggy, just awful.

    • katry Says:

      These rabbits really are cute but that curness quotient disappears when they eat the flowers.

      It was nice all day and only now is cool enough for me to trade sandals for slippers.

  4. Bob Says:

    It’s an old adage that bad things come in threes. You had a computer issue, a speaker wire failure and a flat tire. Your microwave oven wouldn’t dare fail πŸ™‚

    The only wildlife I occasionally see in my neighborhood, I live in the built up suburbs, is an occasional duck from the nearby creek and once in a while an opossum. My small dachshund came across the duck on a neighbor’s front lawn yesterday and the dog went into attack mode. Luckily the dog was on a leash because the duck was twice his size and would have eaten him as an appetizer. The opossum only comes out at night to look for garbage in the alley. I have never really seen him but my 15 year old son refuses to take out the trash after dark. I think they are really nasty animals. Opossums not 15 year old boys.

    The temperature is not as warm today, about 85, but it’s very humid with lots of clouds. There is a 40% chance of rain tonight and a 60% chance tomorrow. If we don’t get rain in the spring time then the lake levels will shrink in the summer heat. The city has already mandated lawn watering to only two days a week. This summer is forecast to not be as hot as last year. We will just have to wait and see what mother nature has in store for us this year.

    • katry Says:

      Your first paragraph has given me hope that all the rest is safe from mechanical death.

      I’m still laughing from the last line of your second paragraph.

      I used to have am opossum which ventured into the yard then would take protection from Gracie behind the deck box. Gracie would bark and scratch the box. Opossums are really ugly creatures.

      We’ve had skunks, racoons, coyotes, wild turkeys and those damn rabbits in the neighborhood at some time or other.

      I doubt any summer could get as hot as yours last year. I hope the rain comes for you and comes foten.

    • katry Says:

      After seeing that first picture, I would never be able to eat rabbit. I have eaten it in the past but that picture has now put me off.

      That second article was really interesting. I have the Mrs. Beeson’s cookbook and think I’ve used her recipe. I wonder if there are people who think it is some soret of an animal!

  5. katry Says:

    My Dear Hedley,
    I wonder how many people will remember. I know my nephews probably wouldn’t get the initials. Events and people that are always close in our memories haven’t ever toughed the younger generation the way they did ours. They have events they’ll never forget in the same way we have.

  6. MT C Says:

    “Adulthood brings such a different perspective.”

    Yes, it does. Yes, absolutely!

    And I’m beginning to think that we are ‘blessed’ with old age so we can reflect upon the different perspectives we’ve used in life, so maybe we can do a better job right off the bat, next time (if there should happen to be one.)


    • katry Says:

      I figure I’m still learning but it has to do with getting older and living with a whole different set of expectations. That’s okay as I can still travel and I enjoy my life. There can’t be anything better than that.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: