“My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She’s ninety-seven now, and we don’t know where the heck she is.”

The morning is cloudy. Google says it’s sunny, but he has no access to the windows. The air is a bit damp and makes today’s 74˚ feel cooler than it is. The small breeze is constant. Rain is predicted for tomorrow. Of course it is. I washed the kitchen floor yesterday. Maybe if I had known about this connection before, the one between rain and a clean kitchen floor, I could have prevented the drought we find ourselves in, and my kitchen floor would be immaculate. My only plan for today is a trip to the dump as it will be closed the next three days. Such an adventure!

I’m wearing my slippers, both of them. The former lost slipper feels a bit different, a little squishy in the toe. I don’t mind. I’m just happy to have my slipper back. I still need to collect the rest of Nala’s trash from the yard.

When I was a kid, Sunday was sacrosanct. The stores were closed. The churches were full. My church had masses up and down. I liked the down as the mass seemed to go faster, freeing us sooner. Back then women had to wear hats. I used to wear a small, round mantilla, the smallest not really a hat I could find. I used to crumble it up and put it into my pocket when I was out of church. Lace doesn’t crumble. It pockets well.

My grandmother lived down the street from the First National. She used to grab her wheeled basket, the sort you pull behind you, and shop. She had a closet in the kitchen where she stored some groceries, but I remember most the bottles of root beer on the closet floor. The kitchen’s top cabinets went to the ceiling. My grandmother was tall but stooped the way some some old ladies are. The only table in the kitchen was a built in with a bench. It was cozy, a better word than small. My grandmother wasn’t a good cook. She could do a roast with potatoes and canned veggies as that was an easy meal to fix, but her spaghetti was gross with stewed tomatoes plunked on top instead of sauce. I hated the clumps of tomatoes. When I was really young, we used to go there for dinner on Thanksgiving day evening. I can still see the wooden dining room table with matching chairs and the French doors facing the side yard. I don’t think I ever saw those doors opened. We used to use the side door which opened to the kitchen. All of the doors except the front were close to neighbors’ houses. My grandparents’ yard was open to all the backyards. Much, much later, a different owner fenced in the yard. It was a tiny yard. Once in a while I go by the house on my way to somewhere else.

Explore posts in the same categories: Musings

8 Comments on ““My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She’s ninety-seven now, and we don’t know where the heck she is.””

  1. Bob Says:

    Hi Kat,

    Congratulations on finding the missing but partially destroyed slipper. Is the squishy from the rain or Nala’s saliva? 🙂

    Today a “Cold Front” came through and gave us a little rain and cooler temperatures. Now it’s only 85° but the humidity from the rain is 63% which is high and making it uncomfortable.

    Tomorrow is my son’s half birthday. I never heard of celebrating your birthday twice in one year. Have you? My spouse is convinced I never heard of it because my father deprived me of something when I was a kid. 🙁 My daughter and I share the same birthday so I’m stuck with it on October 12th forever. No one ever wrote a half birthday song, did they?

    Today we ventured back to our old neighborhood in far north Dallas and nothing has really changed. We decided to go inside a Burger King and get a snack but nearly all the fast food restaurants we tried had their dining rooms closed. Probably because they can’t find enough workers. We finally found a Taco place that was open and the tacos weren’t bad for fast food. My wife only will eat inside a restaurant if the employees wear masks and there are only a few other customers so we can sit as far from them as possible.

    • katry Says:

      Hi Bob,
      The squishy is from the rain as it was out in the yard during the deluge. It took a couple of days to dry.

      Today was humid and reached a high of 77˚. I got hot and sweaty doing a few things around the house, but the night is cool. It did rain for about 5 minutes around 3:30. It was unexpected.

      I never heard of a half birthday. I guess everyone I know, including me, were deprived as children.

      How long ago was it you moved from North Dallas?

      I don’t know how long it has been since I’ve been to a Burger King. When I worked, I’d sometimes go and pick up one for lunch. My town has a Burger King but no MacDonald’s. There is a limit on the number of drive-up windows my town allows, and we’re at out limit. I guess you have limited choices as to where to eat.

      • Bob Says:

        It’s been about six and a half years. Burger King has a good dollar menu. My better half watches our money better than old Scrooge himself. 🙂 I figured the squishy was from the rain.

      • katry Says:

        I’ll have to check it out.

  2. Caryn Says:

    Hi Kat,
    Your grandmother’s spaghetti recipe was familiar to me. My mother did something like it as her version of American Chop Suey. It was macaroni, with scrambled hamburger, onions, and either canned tomatoes or stewed tomatoes. If I had to eat it, and I did have to eat it, I preferred the canned tomatoes over stewed. But both were awful.
    I was going to do laundry today but only got as far as tossing the bag down the cellar stairs. The dogs and I went to the lake instead where a good time was had by them. It rained while we were very far from the car but they didn’t mind.
    Today’s weather was murky and conducive to napping so after lunch that is what we all did.
    Enjoy the evening.

    • katry Says:

      Hi Caryn,
      Your mother’s American Chop Suey sounds a bit more elaborate than ours. I know my mother never added onions. Like you, I’d never choose stewed tomatoes.

      My laundry was thrown down to the cellar a few days ago. I have to work my way up to washing them, but I am getting close.

      Nala’s former person came to visit today.. She brought toys and treats for both dogs. Her friend was with her and said she cried for days after Nala left, but she knew it was for the best.

      I really needed a nap but needed up too busy. Early to bed tonight.

      Take care!

      • Caryn Says:

        The first load is in the washer. I will have to hang them up because my dryer is not functioning. Repairman comes on Wednesday so I have to clean the laundry room, too. Repairman will probably tell me I need a new dryer because this one is 21 years old. Sigh. I hope not. A nap is looking good now but only because I want to postpone all those things. I think I’ll go to the ice cream stand, instead. 😀

      • katry Says:

        All right, I’m jealous. My laundry still sits at the bottom of the cellar stairs, but I do need to do the clothes this week before I run out.

        I hate when appliances go awry.

        I never managed a nap yesterday and was still up late. My schedule is all screwed up.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: